Day 5 (June 27): Survival Day

Somebody's mother, possibly everybody's mother, said that if you don't have anything nice to say then you should say nothing at all. So this will be a short blog tonight.

On the up side, Elise built her first cairn (which I'm teaching her is a one-syllable word and not two) and it is MAGNIFICENT! In other news, Elise is getting really good at using portrait mode on her new phone/camera.



On the up side for me, I had a haircut today. This isn't a likely highlight but I'm excited to get my head shaved in barber shops all over the world. Today was exceptional. Hot towels, great conversation and a very quiet, very calm hour. My barber was C'Bo, or Charles III, and his father, Charles Jr., was hanging out in the shop for most of the time I was there. Here's the after shot:

We had a great lunch in historic downtown Coupeville at a place called Front Street Grille. Their specialty is mussels and the preparation Elise had with a saffron broth was incredible. I almost didn't order Fish and Chips because it was cod but it was extraordinary and I'm glad I did.




But after lunch, on the downside, we had our first major episode of no-souvenir tantrum. It was a sweet little bookshop and at first it seemed like we were going to let the kids use their "spend" money to buy some stickers. Then Ali picked out a hardbound notebook. Then Cate selected a thick journal. Then Henry found something that was a textbook size tome about "Gods and Heroes." A few minutes later, Henry had disappeared (to a nearby pier) and Ali was stomping up and down the sidewalk. I know we're going to fight this fight many times over the months. Bottom line, I had to apologize to Henry at dinner because of how badly I handled the situation.

Elise put us on the path to recovery by aiming us at a National Historic site on the coastline called Fort Ebey. We saw a WWII artillery installation, nearly pet some "wild" deer and got a little bicycling in.




Tomorrow is our departure from Whidbey. We have a reservation at a hotel in Idaho, which means we should have about six hours of driving. See you then!

Comments